Round Rock, Texas (May 26, 2019) – The 2019 Callahan Award winners were announced during the semifinals of the 2019 USA Ultimate College Championships in Round Rock, Texas. Matt Gouchoe-Hanas from the University of North Carolina Darkside and Jack Verzuh of Dartmouth Ultimate are the latest athletes to be added to the list of most valuable players in the college division, a list that includes some of the sport’s most prolific names.
Founded in 1996 by Charles Kerr, the award is named after Henry Callahan, an ultimate player and one of the sport’s original organizers. Each year, the Callahan is awarded to the most valuable players in college ultimate, as voted on by their peers.
The top five finalists in each division, in alphabetical order, were as follows:
Men’s Division Finalists:
- Joseph Fugate – Tennessee-Chattanooga
- Matt Gouchoe-Hanas – North Carolina
- Mac Hecht – Brown
- Tannor Johnson – Massachusetts
- Kirtan Patel – Texas-Dallas
Women’s Division Finalists:
- Rebecca Fagan – North Carolina
- Sadie Jezierski – Ohio State
- Anna Thompson – Pennsylvania
- Jack Verzuh – Dartmouth
- Yuge Xiao – Columbia